Armed Forces Comics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Book of Moo

3 posters

Go down

The Book of Moo Empty The Book of Moo

Post by Beetle Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:35 am

So my first book is almost complete. I am using a Mac computer and iWorks, which is great because its like Word but I can change the page size to anything I want and save it in any file format I want.

Once I'm complete (just waiting on one last detail) I will save it as a .pdf file.

Farva, you explained to me what site you used to upload and print your book but I'm sure that others can benefit from the same explanation. Some other questions I would ask you are...
Did you have to print a certain number of copies for yourself or did your publisher allow you to order copies one at a time?
Was the cover for the book a separate file? In a separate file format?
Any tips to make the book writing or publishing process easier?
Beetle
Beetle
Contributer
Contributer

http://www.thecrewdogs.com

Back to top Go down

The Book of Moo Empty Re: The Book of Moo

Post by Farva Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm genuinely working on that last detail for you. It's harder than you might think.

As for your questions...

I went through Lulu.com. They offer a lot of choices, and are easy to work with.

I didn’t order any certain amount at first. My first book was printed in all color, and that made it very cost prohibitive to have any kind of stock on hand.

My cover was a separate, single file. I chose to make a full wrap-around cover, which turned out very nice IMO. If I remember correctly, it has to be a PDF if you’re going to do that.

Advice on books? Don’t even let the thought cross your mind until you have 300 comics done. I know no one is going to listen to me, and I didn’t do it that way, but a part of me wishes I had. My next book will include all the ones from the first one, and will have well over 300 strips.

Also, find a way to print in black and white. If your readers want to pay a lot for a color comic, they can order a print from you, and they’ll get a much nicer piece of merchandise, signed and all. Making full-color books is very expensive, and may not be worth it. Another way around it is to offer your book in both formats, as I’ll be doing with my next one. Die-hard fans can order the expensive color one, and no one is left out because they’re not Donald Trump.
Farva
Farva
Contributer
Contributer

http://www.AFBlues.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunter Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:43 pm

I was told Lulu was good by the guy that does the Oddly Normal comic (who is actually ex Air Force). He said a lot of the pros use it cause it's so user friendly and the prices are good. If anyone does it let me know cause I'm thinking of collecting the first years worth of my strips in to some kind of book.
Hunter
Hunter
Contributer
Contributer

http://www.thewaroutthere.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum